Beacon goes digital

The Beacon released its own app March 31.

A website, ohsbeacon.com, showcasing more writing from The Beacon staff has been up since 2013. Now an app furthers the connection to the readers.

Olentangy Orange junior Mitchell Morgan created the app.

Morgan has made three other apps, including “Physics to Go!,” a study guide for Olentangy’s eighth grade science classes.

To keep the app and website updated, students will participate in a new course focusing specifically on the two platforms.

According to journalism adviser Jessica Roads, students will learn to write all types of articles like in the Advanced Journalism course for upperclassmen. The class differs, though, in its content and distribution.

“Think of it as an intermediate stage, after Intro [to Journalism] and before Advanced Journalism,” Roads said.

Students will learn about web design and how to attract online readers.

“It’s a good way to write while I wait for Advanced Journalism,” freshman Audrey Kickbusch, who is enrolled in the web course for next year, said.

This course has been created with the intention of shifting the focus to digital media because this is where the future of journalism lies, said Roads.

It is the duty of journalists to keep the public up to date on current events. Over time the conditions under which news is delivered has changed. From newspapers, to broadcast, to the Internet and now apps.

“The Beacon strives to keep up with new-world journalism, so students have an authentic experience at the high school level,” Roads said.