Olentangy hosts vaccination clinic

AP

FILE – In this July 27, 2020, file photo, Nurse Kathe Olmstead prepares a shot that is part of a possible COVID-19 vaccine, developed by the National Institutes of Health and Moderna Inc., in Binghamton, N.Y. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will hold a meeting to discuss the process of approving COVID-19 vaccines. (AP Photo/Hans Pennink, File)

As COVID-19 vaccines emerged, Olentangy Schools partnered with the Delaware Public Health District to hold vaccination clinics for students. The purpose of the clinics were to give students 16 and older the opportunity to get vaccinated. All students who registered received the Pfizer vaccine. 

On Wednesday, April 28, students received their first dose of the vaccine. Their second dose was Wednesday, May 19, according to an email sent out to the district from the Delaware Public Health District. 

The CDC recommends a three week period between the first and second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, so such recommendations determine the clinic dates. 

With the predetermined dates, all students had to do was register. An email was sent out to all OHS parents with the basic information in regards to the clinics, as well as a link to register for the free shots. 

On top of being cost free, the clinics were convenient which appealed to those interested.

“I decided to get the vaccine through the school because it was an easy and accessible way to get it without disrupting my daily schedule. Since other students were getting it as well it eased any feeling of anxiousness and worry I had,” Lauren H. ‘23 said.

The first clinic was held in the main gym at OHS. Between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., students left class and reported to the gym to receive their shot. 

“I was the second student to sit down, so I got my shot almost instantly. After my shot, they required me to wait 15 minutes before returning back to class in case I showed any immediate side effects,” Bennett P. ‘22 said. 

To provide a place for additional information, the Delaware Public Health District provided an FAQ for students, parents and guardians to access on their website.