Creative writers wanted

Power of the Pen, a writing club, is being introduced at Olentangy high school. Olentangy club Power of the Pen is modeled after the middle school version since there is no high school version of it. At club meetings, members will be given a prompt and half an hour to write. After writers have finished their creative stories they will share with other members.

“I’m excited about it. I really like writing as an English teacher and I’m excited it is student driven and they’re creating what we’re going to do every week for each of the meetings,” English teacher Amanda Sweeney said.

“I wanted to join because in middle school we had a Power of the Pen club and it was a lot of fun so I decided to join since I enjoy writing and I was able to get some of my friends to join so I didn’t really feel like I was going in it alone,” Ali T. ’19 said.

Sweeney explained no competitions have been scheduled, but there are plans for teachers who aren’t in the club to judge students in preparation for potential competitions.

Sweeney explained if someone wants to join Power of the Pen they can show up to a meeting at anytime. ‘Tangy Today will have meeting dates and times so someone who hasn’t gone to a meeting before can take part.

“I feel like the club is off to a great start and has a friendly atmosphere that encourages confidence in our writing. I also feel that when the club has a couple of more meetings and more members it’ll be a great club and will be even better than it is now,” Ali T said.

“We are thinking about Monday after school and we’re staggering the meetings based on student availability,” Sweeney said.