DECA’s “Dealin’ With Your Dough”

Submitted by The Olentangy DECA Financial Literacy group

The Olentangy DECA Financial Literacy group is creating smart savers within all levels of the Olentangy community. Their project, “Dealin’ With Your Dough” started as an idea to merely teach students about financial literacy, but turned into a fun and engaging learning experience for multiple grades to participate in. Group members Nishant M., ‘17, Maria F. ‘17 and Nhu D. ‘17 have reached over 20 classrooms filled with over 400 students and taught the importance of budgeting, saving, and smart spending.

Olentangy Shanahan Middle School students were able to partake in a budgeting game where the classroom was able to create a mock budget and make real-world decisions such as whether they should splurge on the BMW or be thrifty with a Honda Accord. This same lesson was also implemented with the special needs classroom within Olentangy High School. First grade students at Cheshire Elementary had to make correct change in order to “buy” a goldfish snack, while also decorating DIY piggy banks. Each lesson was an immense success with students giving positive feedback across the board. This month the Financial Literacy group will be doing a “Price is Right” simulation during lunches where students at Olentangy High School get to compete for Chipotle gift cards.

Even with all the planned events, there was an undeniable unforeseen effect that group member Nishant explained.

“The crazy thing is – and I can say this with confidence – that the part of teaching kids how to manage money was never expected to be rewarding. We walked into classrooms thinking we would teach a simple lesson, but we left feeling really, incredibly, happy. Who knew giving this type of knowledge to the students who will fill our shoes in a few years could be so fulfilling?” Nishant said.

The Financial Literacy DECA group will be competing at the state competition in late March where they will be able to qualify for the DECA nationals in Anaheim, California, later in the school year. Until competition, you can be sure to see this group of students working hard to teach the community how to deal with their dough.