OLSD considers new forms of technology

OLSD considers new forms of technology

Technology improves in society every day, and now it makes more of an impact on education than it ever has in history.

The impact of technology greatly changed the way students learn inside and outside the classroom. Most materials and assignments are now introduced through the internet. In the district, students use a platform called my olsd, where they can access different materials which benefit their learning such as Schoology, Powerschool and library sources.

In 2010, Olentangy began to purchase technology carts containing chromebooks and iPads for teachers to rent out at for their students to use. The district owns over 18 thousand technology devices. A big problem Olentangy has been facing with the shift of most online assignments is students who don’t have access to their own technology at home. Olentangy teachers now suggest students bring devices to school, which makes parents concerned about their children’s own devices.

“For the past two years the district has been pursuing a digital conservation plan to continually improve our technology infrastructure and give the district the ability to personalize the learning experience for all of its students.” Jessica Fields, Instructional Technology Supervisor said.

The technology board has discussed if providing the whole district with technology at home would be effective for Olentangy learning. Providing students with a computer such as a Chromebook would require a technology fee for parents.

Districts surrounding Olentangy have already started to provide their students with technology devices. Madison Strane ‘19, student at Hilliard Davidson High School  has an iPad (given to her by the district) for her school work.

“We use iPads in almost every single class. We have so much less paper to carry around because we have access to everything on our Ipads. Getting homework done on time is easier as well because during school we can do the online assignments. Also, a lot of kids don’t have computers at home so it is super helpful for them.” Madison S. said.