The Wrestling Buckeyes Start Season

Oklahoma States Jordan Oliver, right, and Ohio States Logan Stieber wrestle during their 133-pound championship match, Saturday, March 17, 2012, at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

AP

Oklahoma State’s Jordan Oliver, right, and Ohio State’s Logan Stieber wrestle during their 133-pound championship match, Saturday, March 17, 2012, at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in St. Louis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

The Buckeye Wrestling team has had much success over the past few years. Ohio State has released their schedule and roster for the 2020-202l season. Fans are excited for previous favorites and new additions to the roster. Ohio State has brought four new wrestlers to the team and seven Red-Shirt freshmen. 

One returner is Gary Traub whom the fans have given the nickname Gas Tank Gary, and he is the heavyweight for the team. There is more than one OSU wrestler from Liberty. Junior Trey Grenier who is the team’s 149lb wrestler graduated in 2018. One wrestler who is not new to the team but it is his first year wrestling varsity is Red-Shirt Freshman Carson Kharchla. Kharchla graduated from Olentangy Liberty High School in 2019 and is Ohio State’s 165lb wrestler. Kharchla has much anticipation for his season this year because of how skilled he has been in freestyle, preseason, and high school wrestling.

“I am really looking forward to this year and wrestling. Everyone says college is different, so I’m excited to see what about. I decided to redshirt last year to help transition from high school to college and to develop my wrestling better. Last year helped me as it gave me a little taste of what college is and how a whole season would feel,” Ohio State wrestling team member Carson Kharchla said.

Ohio State is not allowed to have spectators into the Covelli Center for wrestling, but the matches will be on television for the fans to watch. The wrestlers are interested to see how the season will go with no fans.

“I think it will be very interesting wrestling without fans which can be good and bad. Good because it may make it feel more like practice and give you a more relaxed feel on the mat. It could also be bad because the noise of the crowd gets you ready and tells your body that it’s time to go and that won’t be there this year,” Kharchla said.

Ohio State had their first match against Illinois and Wisconsin on January 17th in Champaign, Ill. Even though Ohio State is having fewer matches this year they will still have some very high anticipated matches against teams such as Iowa, Purdue, Michigan, and Penn State.