The Beacon

• MAY 23: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL

• MAY 19: GRADUATION 10:00 A.M.

• MAY 17: GRADUATION REHEARSAL 1:00 P.M.

Young vocalist establishes future

Back to Article
Back to Article

Young vocalist establishes future

Camille C. '21, Writer

Inspired by one of her closest friends in seventh grade, Madison S.’19 has always had a passion for theater and singing. Since it is one of her favorite activities to do both inside and outside of school, Madison S. plans to continue her affection for the arts into the next stage: college and her future.

“During my middle school years, my friend convinced me to join the musical with her to see how things would go. After we joined, I immediately fell in love with all the people in choir and instantly knew that this is what I wanted to do,” Madison S. said.

After she began her musical career in seventh grade, Madison S. has worked her way up in the theater program over her high school years to become a part of the chamber choir, the president of the Olentangy Vocal Program and the vice president of the Theater Program.

Madison S.’s job requires her to deal with frequent downfalls throughout performances, but she finds a way to make a positive outcome.

“Making mistakes happens a lot in choir. Being president of the vocal program and vice president of the theater can be a bit much to juggle with the rest of my extracurriculars and work. I just remember to laugh off my mistakes and find my inner focus to help my section,” Madison S. said.

Madison S. decided to take her singing career more seriously when she got to high school, and was influenced by her current teachers, Timothy Smith and Mike Doyle.

“These teachers encouraged me as a student to take vocal and theater lessons, so I can fulfill my potential career in singing,” Madison S. said.

In choir and theater class, Madison S. is described as a strong leader who has a positive influence towards her classmates.

“Madison S. has consistently demonstrated good leadership skills, as well as being a positive person both in music and her general behavior,” Choir Teacher Smith said.

Throughout Madison S.’s career, she has learned to work as a team, listen to others and find different approaches and styles to see the best outcome.

“All these traits will help me become a better person, and help me later in life,” Madison S. said.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Young vocalist establishes future”

1. Caroline Chubb on November 5th, 2018 12:17 pm

1.) I liked the multiple sources that the article included and the detail the article expressed.
    2.) I learned about the environment between the embers of Olentangy Choir and the future plans of many of its members.
    3.) The news elements involved were timeliness. The article was posted on October 4, which is very recently. It also covers the broad range of the entire 2018-2019 school year.

2. Savannah on November 5th, 2018 2:08 pm

This article was a great, informational, feature story. With the drama department, and the music department being so relevant, this story is timely and fun to read. I learned about the different options a student can have in this high school as well. Responsible jobs are open for anyone who can take on the task.

3. sara on November 6th, 2018 2:09 pm

i liked the article bc we don’t get to hear often about people who possibly have a future and i mean everyone will have a future weather its talent or not. there’s human interest. when i see articles like these i get really interested in the story

4. Hanna Schmidt on November 6th, 2018 3:40 pm

I like how this article was very detailed when describing the story of how she got into choir and also how it referred to multiple sources. I learned that there are vice presidents and presidents in the choir and theater program and that they take a lot of responsibility. This article is timely and also involves positive consequence such as learning to work as a team and being open to others ideas.

5. crystal tse on November 6th, 2018 4:27 pm

I like how this article includes many direct quotes and quotes from other sources, such as her choir teacher. The article explains her story of getting to the musical and theater industry and how she wants to continue this path through college as well. I learned that there are multiple musical classes available at Olentangy High School. This article involves proximity because I go to OHS.

6. Kennedy Rehklau on November 6th, 2018 6:06 pm

I really liked the different quote perspectives from both Madi and the other teachers and students. I learned about the options in Olentangy with extracurriculars and that many of the theater can go onto college to pursue things in the music and theater realm. This article has human interest because many people love music and theater as well as proximity as it is located in our school.

7. Hannah Moore on November 7th, 2018 4:56 pm

I liked learning about part of the school that I haven’t experienced, and about someone new that I don’t know. I learned about another possible career path that someone in my school is considering, and what she is doing to prepare herself for that occupation. This article contains timeliness, proximity, and human interest.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Dewine gas taxes increase

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Small scheduling tips for the future

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Marks leaves legacy

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Daylight savings divides America

• Feature

Top 5 Places to go for Thanksgiving

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Thanksgiving traditions change throughout the years

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Appetizers

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Doup survives breast cancer

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Students call for cleaner restrooms

• Young vocalist establishes future

Feature

Moving creates new cultural experiences

"We have issues"
Young vocalist establishes future