Liberty exceeds maximum capacity

Permission to print from OLSD.

There is one main problem dwelling at Olentangy Liberty High School (OLHS) which the students and administrators must cope with: overpopulation.

This issue was magnified when the incoming sophomores and juniors got the opportunity to stay at their school, OLHS. Seniors across the Olentangy Local School District(OLSD) stayed at their school. On the other hand, OHS students did not get this alternative. According to OLSD Superintendent Mark Raiff, if they were redistricted, they were forced to go to Olentangy Berlin High School (OBHS), which opened the fall of 2018. This caused Liberty to remain overpopulated, because most students who had the choice, chose the school they already called home..

“We have always let seniors stay at their current school, which is the right decision. The decision to allow juniors to stay at OLHS was new, and I do not regret it because I thought giving them a choice was in their best interest. Sophomores moved schools unless they were approved for a transfer. At OLHS, there were 43 students that stayed as a sophomores,” Raiff said, via email.

Students attending Liberty agree the hallways and classroom are overflowing and more congested this year than in years past.

“The lockers and hallways are more crowded at OLHS than last year,” Daniel B. ‘21 said, who decided to stay at OLHS as a sophomore.

Redistricting students and families is not an easy job for the superintendent of the district to do, according to Raiff.

“Redistricting is always a very hard process for some students and families, and I can appreciate that they all love and enjoy the school they are currently attending,” Raiff said.

Many students at OLHS did not consider going to a new school due to the strong relationships they had formed with teachers and other students. Leaving would have split them from their friends, teammates, club members and others they had grown close to.

“I did not heavily consider going to OHS, because all of my friends go to school at OLHS. I have good relationships with my teachers and friends at OLHS, and all three of my siblings went to OLHS,” Marcus M. ‘20 said.

Sophomore Daniel K. decided to make the switch to OHS, and he believes he made the right decision. He said he does not regret it, as he enjoys OHS more than he did OLHS during his freshman year.

“The people at Olentangy are much nicer and more genuine people compared to those at Liberty. I felt a fresh start would be a better option for me, due to not liking Liberty as a school. The biggest difference between the two schools would have to be the attitudes of the people and teachers,” Daniel K. said.