Protest turns ghost

Since April 1977, American society dedicated one day out of the year to protesting oil industries in the Middle East. In 2018, the tradition continues on April 15.

As gas prices continue to increase, people across the nation have decided not to pump their gas for a single day. However, some have conflicts over whether this action will affect the oil industries.

“Honestly, I don’t think it would help because there are still 364 days of gas purchasing. Oil dollars operate in billions of dollars annually, so one day could theoretically cost millions,” U.S. Government teacher Erica Sachs said.

In the past, there was little success for reduced gas prices.

According politifact.com, “In April 1977, a gallon of regular gasoline on average cost roughly $1.19. At the end of the month, the same gallon cost about $1.18.”

Along with the questionable impact to the oil industries, some noticed the only advertisement for the protest is on social media, not on major new sources.

“Social media is able to more easily perpetuate ideas without basis than major news sources. Even researching online there doesn’t appear to be many legitimate articles,” Sachs said.

Due to the social media exposure, people indicate the protest as a hoax. The posts on social media indicate the year 2012 instead of 2018 which makes the advertisement unreliable.

As a result, there is little information about the protest in general.

However, this does not mean the protest has any less impact on American society than others. A large percentage of high school students drive themselves to and from school.

According to cdc.gov, “Three out of four high school students aged 16 drives.”

The percentage also waivers due to the geographical region one lives in. The highest percentage being in the Midwest and mountain regions and the lower percentages in the metropolitan areas.