Amy Coney Barrett sworn in as Supreme Court Justice

Anneliese H. '23, Writer

In the wake of the 2020 presidential election and Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death, a new Supreme Court Justice has been sworn in. President Trump finalized the ceremony for Amy Coney Barrett’s swearing in on Oct. 27th.

Barrett was born in ‘72 in Louisiana and received her primary education at a Catholic school, according to biography.com. She earned a B.A. in English literature at Rhodes College in Tennessee and a law degree at Notre Dame Law School.

Her career path has always revolved around law. She clerked for multiple Judges and joined a law firm before she received a job as a teacher at Notre Dame. She earned a reputation for her Catholic and conservative opinions.

With predominantly conservative policies, the U.S. is split on her views. This includes her religious view on gay marriage rights. She has decided not to comment outright on the subject; however, she had formerly said that her views align with Justice Scalia’s, who has not been an advocate for LGBTQ+ rights before.

“I do not think that anybody should assume that just because Justice Scalia decided a decision a certain way that I would too…I want to be clear that I have never discriminated on the basis of sexual preference,” Barrett said during her U.S. Senate confirmation hearing.

The reasons behind this statement have left voters to come up with their own conclusions.

“I think it is unacceptable that she refuses to say anything,” Amanda T. ‘23 said. “It is quite obvious that she has an opinion that is harmful to the community.”

Others think Barrett has done a good job keeping her biases out of her conversations.

“I think if you watch the confirmation hearings, you see someone who says she will keep her own personal political persuasions out of her judicial decision making, and I think that is what you’re looking for,” AP government teacher Tyler Shaw said.

The nomination seemed rushed to some people due to the simultaneous presidential election, but based on historical precedents, this may not be the case.

“There have been historical precedents of nominations close to an election being postponed,” Shaw said. “But there are also instances in which you have seen confirmations take place much closer to an election.”

Students who have experienced this situation for the first time are given the chance to formulate their own opinion based on those precedents.

“I think it would have made much more sense to wait until after the election for the President to appoint a new Justice,” junior Bryn Bennett said.

Of course, the opposite opinion is also explored.

Arguments have arisen on the internet and in the senate over which precedent they should follow in relation to this dilemma. Each political party has their own opinion to follow.

Barrett’s nomination and new seat on the Supreme Court will be an important part of political conversation the next few months.