The Beacon

• MARCH 30: LAST DAY TO SUBMIT SENIOR QUOTES, AFTER GRADUATE PLANS AND BABY ADS

President Trump’s address includes no shutdown

Back to Article
Back to Article

Megan A. '20, Writer

President Donald Trump’s State of the Union Address occurred Feb. 5. Originally, it was supposed to take place Jan. 29, but Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi wanted the president to wait to make his address until the government reopened. On Jan. 25, the government reopened for three weeks, according to Vox. In the meantime, Democrats and Republicans aimed to strike a lasting deal.

Trump’s address was the first time he spoke in the newly Democrat-controlled House. The Democratic party retook the lower chamber in the 2018 midterms elections, which had a large voter turnout according to The Washington Post.

Trump’s main focus during his address was unity. He used major victories American citizens have had to build nationalism throughout the country such as Coast Guard Petty Officer Ashlee Leppert, who was on one of the first helicopters on the scene in Houston during Hurricane Harvey and Cali. firefighter David Dahlberg who rescued almost 60 children trapped at a California summer camp threatened by the wildfires. However, divided Republicans were his primary focus throughout his address according to The New York Times.

“I am asking you to choose greatness. No matter the trials we face, no matter the challenges to come, we must move to go forward together. We must keep America first in our hearts,” Trump said during his address.

Later, Trump touched on hotly debated topics such as illegal immigration and the United States – Mexican border wall. The recent government shutdown occurred because Congress would not grant Trump $5.7 billion dollars to build a border wall. He did not acknowledge the government shutdown, and instead voiced his support for a diverse number of desirable campaigns Democrats are leaning towards such as putting an end to AIDS, reducing childhood cancer and fixing the country’s “crumbling infrastructure,” according to The New York Times.

“America was founded on liberty and independence,  and not government coercion, domination and control. We are born free, and we will stay free,” Trump included in his address.

After Trump’s State of the Union Address, Stacey Abrams gave the Democrat’s response, becoming the first black woman to give a Democratic response in American history. Abrams lost to Republican Brian Kemp during Georgia’s governor race in the 2018 midterms, so since Abrams does not hold office, she cannot be politically accountable for any issues her address brings up.

“Even as I am very disappointed by the president’s approach to our problems, I still do not want him to fail. But we need him to tell the truth, and to respect his duties, and respect the extraordinary diversity defines America,” she said in response to Trump.

Abram’s response sparked a chain reaction of mixed emotions from the public. The main focus of the public was on a new possible government shutdown, but lawmakers reached a temporary solution to avoid a second government shutdown. The provisional deal falls short of Trump’s requested budget of $5.7 billion, but a Republican lawmaker created the deal to provide $1.375 billion for a border wall which would provide for 55 miles of a barrier to be built. The deal provides 24.1 percent of Trump’s requested amount from Congress According to Business Insider. However, the bill still needs to be approved by Congress in order for the border wall funding to start.

“There is a lot of tension when it comes to border wall security,” Stephanie G. ‘21 said. “I hope they [lawmakers] make the right decision when it comes to security.”