Third quarter increases laziness

Back to Article
Back to Article

Third quarter increases laziness

Reagan B. '21, Writer

Third quarter is the prime time of year for students as their hands are numb before they make it 15 feet from their car. Exams were over before winter break, and the day students got back to school, teachers started new units even though half of the class was still sleeping. January through March is the time where students’ enjoy working hard, and getting things done more than any other quarter. 

Scheduling comes earlier and earlier each year, and students are always prepared. After two weeks of sleeping and eating, students are expected to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives. They are required to start making plans now by scheduling classes for the next year. If they do not know their post-high school plans before junior year, they will never succeed.

Advanced Placement (AP) classes are an absolute necessity, and if students do not take them, they will not have any chance of getting into a good college. Colleges expect all classes taken to be AP, so when a student takes an honors class instead, their odds of being accepted are crushed.

This quarter of the school year is the longest one, lasting 46 days, and has only four days off! Due to the excitement of these three months, students just hope it does not snow. At this point in the school year, snow days are the only thing keeping students out of reach of their full academic potential, especially the three days off last week! Just one extra day off makes a big difference to teachers and students alike, as it will make or break each person’s success.

First, second and fourth quarters are all shorter than third, and students are either just coming back from summer break, or preparing for exams, which takes up about a week of school days. Third quarter is the prime time where all classes are doing is academic work and learning new material; the whole school’s favorite.

During the winter, it is dark when students leave for school, and it is dark shortly after they arrive home later that day. On those cold, dark mornings, the only thing people want to do is go to school, sit at a desk for hours, just to leave the building and have it still be cold and getting dark!