Small scheduling tips for the future

Back to Article
Back to Article

Small scheduling tips for the future

Megan A. '20, Writer

What you should do

• Choose classes you are excited to take.
    • If you are interested in writing and journalism, take Intro to Journalism or Creative Writing! If you are interested in Political Science then Civil and Criminal Law is the class for you. Surrounding yourself with classes you are excited to take will not only boost your GPA but your attitude.
  • Find out as much as you can about your classes and teacher.
    • Asking friends and teachers about the class is a strategic method to prepare for next year. Going in blind may not be the safest option. You will be more likely to succeed if you know what you are getting yourself into and are prepared.
  • Reach out and listen to your guidance counselor’s advice to plan a well-balanced schedule.
    • Guidance counselors meet with students to finalize their future schedule. Do not be afraid to meet up with your guidance counselor multiple times throughout the semester before finalizing your classes.         
  • Recognize how many class choices OHS has to offer.
    • OHS has a huge amount of courses and academic opportunities from English to Science. Mentorship and Teacher Academy are just a few of the programs teachers have provided to students.
  • Do not forget about your sports or extracurriculars after school.
    • Sports and extracurricular activities are daily highlights for some, but make sure you have time to finish homework and study. You want to balance your schedule inside and outside of school. Limiting yourself to a certain number of courses or activities will increase brain activity to do well in school. Academics come first, then athletics and clubs. For instance, filling up your day with a majority of AP classes and involving yourself with year-round athletics and clubs may look good on your college applications, but your brain will hate you.

What you should not do

• Do not be afraid to take a new subject.
    • Clinging to familiar classes will only get you so far. Try some other subjects; however, do not overload your brain with too many tough classes. Colleges are always on the lookout for well-rounded students who are committed to their studies.
  • Do not wait until the last minute to start thinking about your schedule.
    • Procrastination is not the key to success. Holding anything off will only create extra stress and concern. Speak to your guidance counselor about future plans, and they will assist you throughout your high school career.
  • Do not base your schedule off of your friends’.
    • High school is all about changes. Make sure to put yourself first with classes and education. Your friends may not want to take the same courses you do, and that is okay.
  • Do not overwhelm yourself with classes you cannot keep up with.
    • If you can manage seven AP classes, then go for it, but if you do not believe you can handle the weight of various hardcore subjects try something else that is easier for you and your grade.
  • Do not take classes you are not interested in.
    • Do not take Anatomy if you are interested in business and the marketplace. Or if you are interested in becoming a doctor, mythology may not be the course to take. It is okay to try new things similar to the subject you are more interested in. Studies show that the more involved and interested in a subject the better you will do.