Wildfires strike California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wildfires strike California

The Rim Fire in the Stanislaus National Forest near in California began on Aug. 17, 2013 and is under investigation. The fire has consumed approximately 149, 780 acres and is 15% contained. U.S. Forest Service photo.

USDA

USDA

USDA

Maxwell W. '20, Writer

California wildfires have affected hundreds of California civilians and their homes in the months of November and December. There have been two wildfires around California the past two months.

There have been at least 44 deaths and 200 people are still missing. These have been named the deadliest and most destructive wildfires in California history, according to CNN, burning close to 6,000 yards a second. The biggest fire is called “The Campfire,” which burned the area around Sacramento. The other large wildfire is the Wolseley Fire, affecting Southern California near Los Angeles.

Parts of Southern and Northern California have ordered evacuations for people to leave their homes. These were due to the heavy rain in these dry conditions which can cause mudslides according to CNN. Areas that ordered evacuations were Orange County, Sacramento and other parts of Northern and Southern California.

“I pray for the people of California and am hopeful they can come back together again,” Garrett Z.’ 21 said.

Different relief groups and citizens in California have come together to help other families and stores in need. One example comes from Paradise, California. The city is north of Sacramento in the woodlands of Tahoe and Plumas National Forests. Paradise lost about 14,000 houses in their community, and their high school, Paradise High School (PHS), burned to the ground. However, a California businessman, Bob Wilson, brought hope to the students of PHS. He gave $1,000 checks to each student, teacher and staff members at the school. These checks allowed students to fund and rebuild homes and get important supplies. The community is also trying to fund enough money to build a new high school. Wilson’s checks totaled to be about $1.1 million.

“I decided that if I could just put a smile on their faces and give them the freedom to do whatever they wanted with the money, that would make me happy,” Wilson said to The Washington Post.

Another major contributor to the families and people suffering from these wildfires is the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation. This group supports firefighters and the first responders who battle the wildfires. With the fires still raging around California, they are asking for donations to get hydration backpacks for each firefighter to use against the flames.

“It is a horrific tragedy. My prayers go out to all the victims who died,” OHS English teacher Kennan Meadows said.

The last major group trying to support the state of California is the American Red Cross. The Red Cross is hosting emergency shelters and food sites in different areas of California where they provide healthy food and supplies to families in need. Additionally, the Red Cross has 

teamed up with the car company Porsche Cars of North America to provide vehicle transportation to the residents of California.

“I hope California residents get help from across the globe through different charities and groups. I feel sorrowful for all the families lost through these fires,” Ryan H.’ 21 said.

The California wildfires have affected people across the United States with the deaths of family members, burning of houses and lack of food and supplies. However, with the help of Wilson and these other relief efforts, California is fighting to rebuild step by step.