The Beacon

• MARCH 30: LAST DAY TO SUBMIT SENIOR QUOTES, AFTER GRADUATE PLANS AND BABY ADS

Healthier drinks create negative effects in humans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maxwell W. '20, Writer

Around the United States, Americans choose from a variety of drink options. When it comes to beverages, some people pick soda, lemonade or other sugary drinks instead of milk, protein shakes or water. However, protein shakes and sports drinks also have negative effects. Here are some tips about what fluids to be cautious of.

Protein shakes are implemented into diet programs and other healthy lifestyles, but their negative effects are widely unknown. They are considered to be a healthy drink because they have protein, and can help create muscle mass. However, if people drink 46 -56 grams of protein in a shake, which is the average human intake, it can make consuming solid and other perishable foods more difficult. It can hurt people’s stomachs and even cause liver damage when only drinking a protein shake to get this amount, according to CBS News.

Another negative effect of protein drinks is they might contain heavy metals inside their products. For example, the protein shake Muscle Milk became tested by experts, and found to contain arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury. These experiments took place in 2010 when the magazine company Consumer Reports tested 15 different popular protein shakes. The group of researchers were looking for potentially dangerous amounts of metal in several drinks.

“People need to be aware and do their homework prior to purchasing an item that is outside of their knowledge scope. However, protein shakes provide a great option for those who struggle to get enough protein in their diet, and they supply support for those needing extra protein in daily activites,” Metro Fitness trainer Mike Davies said.

According to the research study, they discovered only three types of metals in Muscle Milk chocolate powder serving. The specific amounts were cadmium levels at 5.6 micrograms, lead at 13.5 and arsenic at 12.2. Cadmium and lead were above their microgram limits of five and 10 respectively. Arsenic was close to its microgram limit of 15 for a product.

“Protein shakes are great energy after a workout. However, these companies need to be more aware of what they put in their products,” Thomas B.’19 said.

Sports drinks such as Gatorade and Powerade have other negative effects similar to protein shakes. They provide a high amount of sugar and sodium, which can increase the risk of having high blood pressure.  Additionally, Gatorade contains different food dyes such as Red No.40, Blue No. 1 and Yellow No. 5. These dyes are processed from petroleum and could possibly increase the risk of hyperactivity in children. Hyperactivity means a person is active constantly, and sometimes shows disruptive behavior in public. Even though Gatorade can help athletes recover after a workout with electrolytes, it still holds unhealthy side effects.

“I think sports drinks are not good for athletes because of the high amounts of sugar they have, and they can cause cramps,” Michael W. ‘20 said.

Powerade has similar characteristics to Gatorade. It helps with recovery and provides electrolytes for athletes, but has large amounts of sugars and sodium. Whether it is Gatorade or Powerade, they both show similar results of unhealthy materials within products.

“I think that protein shakes and sports drinks are very good for most people. However, people should not drink too much of it,” Jack H. ‘20 said.

Protein shakes and sports drinks are generally okay before and after a workout for athletes, as they provide protein and electrolytes to help recover. However, when people drink a protein shake or sports drinks during lunch or at a family get together, they need to be aware of the negative effects of these beverages.