The Beacon

Daylight savings divides America

Back to Article
Back to Article

Daylight savings divides America

Maxwell W. '20, Writer

November has multiple different holidays celebrated across the United States. These include Veterans Day celebrated Nov. 11, and Thanksgiving Nov. 22. Daylight savings was invented in 1895 by British builders William Willett and George Vernon Hudson. They shared the idea in a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society. They proposed a two hour shift in October and a two hour shift in March. Today, it has changed to a one hour shift, but holds the same initiative. Most of the world follows the idea of Willett and Hudson, however these two days in March and November still spark a debate about its effect on Americans said National Geographic.

People appreciate having time and daylight to do more activities. These can include playing basketball, mowing the lawn or reading a book outside. However, these outdoor activities, and similar ones cannot be enjoyed if it gets dark at 5:30 in the evening. If there is more sunlight in the evening, people have more time to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with family.

Arizona and parts of Indiana do not participate in daylight savings because of consequences like these. According to National Geographic, the reasoning behind Arizona not participating in daylight savings is because residents wanted to have more nighttime cooling hours than hotter temperatures they experience all year.

According to NBC News, said Arizona does not participate in daylight savings because in 1968, the state voted  to be excluded from the “Uniform Time Act of 1966,” which established daylight savings accross the country. However, back in 1968, the Navajo reservation appreciated daylight savings, and made itself the only area in Arizona to adhere to the act.

“I do not think Daylight savings is a great idea. It was originally implemented to save energy during war times, but now it serves virtually no purpose and only confuses our internal clocks,” William R.‘19 said.

Daylight savings also affects a person’s health. Having to adapt to changing daylight hours is stressful for people. Additionally, people have problems with sleep deprivation, ranging hormone levels and food cravings, according to N.G. 

The transition to and from daylight saving time has been linked to higher heart attack risk, more car accident fatalities and other bad outcomes,” David Prerau author of Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time said to National Geographic.

However, some believe daylight savings is a definite idea which should be implemented throughout all of the United States.

“I think we should keep Daylight savings, because it allows people to get time during the day to get things done,” Ben W. ’ 20 said.

Daylight savings time is still a huge debate. Whether it is moving back or forward an hour, people are forced to adjust to the change. This issue will continue unless the entire country adopts the same policy.

“I think Daylight Savings is getting outdated nowadays. It doesn’t really serve a purpose  because students are still functioning like a regular day,” Honors Chemistry and biology teacher Keith Frase said.