The Beacon

• MARCH 30: LAST DAY TO SUBMIT SENIOR QUOTES, AFTER GRADUATE PLANS AND BABY ADS

• FEBRUARY 25: BAND CONCERT 7:00 P.M.

• February 21: PARENT REACHER CONFERENCES 3:00-7:30 P.M.

Nick Bosa moves forward to NFL

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Bosa moves forward to NFL

Camron D. '21, Writer

On Oct. 16, Ohio State University’s(OSU) defensive end, Nick Bosa, announced he will be leaving OSU to start his NFL career, and follow in his brother’s footsteps. He had a recent groin injury, and has been recovering and going through rehab.

Bosa is  “rehabilitating after having surgery due to a core muscle injury,” which he got during OSU’s third game of the season against TCU. There is no timetable for his return,” according to USA Today.

Tim Tebow, former quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, believes Bosa should not quit his college football career so soon, because he might regret it. Tebow said he himself regrets going to the National Football League (NFL) so soon and does not want Bosa to miss out on his college experience.

“What I would do? I would wait, I would get healthy, and if my team was in the playoff, I’m going to compete with my team,” Tebow said to USA Today. “When you’re 50 years old, and you look back, aren’t you going to regret it a little bit? To say ‘my guys went to the playoff and they played Alabama in the championship… I could have been with them, but I was more worried about the money.”

The NFL has said Bosa’s decision to leave will not impact his draft stock. They stated he is a top five player and is too good for this issue to matter this much.

“I think it is very selfish of him to do that, but he chose what’s good for his career,” Bharath K. ‘21 said.

Those who support Bosa’s decision believe he should start thinking about his long-term future because if he gets injured worse than he is now, he may never play football again. If this happens, he may never get the chance to play in the NFL.

“I think Bosa’s decision was made more for his career because he doesn’t want to rush his injury, then get hurt again, since he will be in the 1st round pick for the NFL draft. On the other side he was one of the best defensive linemen in the Big Ten and leading sacks and now Ohio State is lacking on defense without him,” Taylor L. ‘21.

Baseball assistant coach Chris Binkley gave his opinion on Nick Bosa’s decision on going to the NFL.

“In my opinion I understand his decision to leave school for the NFL, but I do not agree with it. Knowing he is going to probably be a top-10 pick in the draft I certainly understand that he does not want to take the chance of another injury. I do not agree with the decision because he is quitting on his teammates for a selfish reason. I understand that he wants to focus on his rehab, but I think Ohio State and the Columbus area has plenty of medical facilities around where he can focus on the healing process without leaving school. Saying that, I understand that $30 million is waiting for him next spring and that can be a driving factor in any decision,” Binkley said.