The Beacon

• MARCH 30: LAST DAY TO SUBMIT SENIOR QUOTES, AFTER GRADUATE PLANS AND BABY ADS

14-year-old leakage becomes deadly crisis

Back to Article
Back to Article

The oil spill, seen here, is being invesigated by the Coast Guard after it was reported in the vicinity of South Pass, La. April 6, 2010.  U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Jesse Kavanaugh.

The oil spill, seen here, is being invesigated by the Coast Guard after it was reported in the vicinity of South Pass, La. April 6, 2010. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Jesse Kavanaugh.

Megan A. '20, Writer

Formerly unknown to the public, an oil platform has been leaking in the Gulf of Mexico for 14 years. This crisis has the potential to become the deadliest oil spill in United States history. This constant leak may be larger than the Deepwater disaster, which dumped nearly 176.4 million gallons of oil into the Gulf, according to CNN.

“Oil spills are not widely regarded as a big climate issue, but they need to be,” Marlee W. ‘19 said.

Marlee W. ’19 is the officer of environmental club and recycling club. She is petitioning for Meatless Mondays and vegan options in the cafeteria.

The Gulf of Mexico is one the wealthiest and more abundant oil and gas regions in the world, according to The Washington Post. It is expected to yield more than 600 million barrels this year, or nearly 20 percent of the United State’s oil production. This includes another 40 billion barrels underground which has not been accessed yet, a government analyst said to The Washington Post. Taylor energy owns the oil barrels which are leaking, so the report The Department of Justice released in September was based off of satellite data, instead of Taylor Energy-supplied numbers.

During Hurricane Ivan in 2004, an oil production platform known as the Mississippi Canyon-20, owned by Taylor Energy, sunk during a major mudslide on Sept. 15. Since then, between 300 to 700 oil barrels have been leaking per day, just 12 miles from where the platform sank off the Louisiana coast, according to The Washington Post.

“[The platform] was subsequently located lying in an almost horizontal orientation and almost entirely buried in sediment up to 100 feet deep, approximately 900 feet from its original location, and in approximately 440 feet of water,” said Taylor Energy officials in a statement.

This Taylor Energy oil spill has not been nationally publicized, and has been kept quiet to those outside of Louisiana. The company wanted to keep this a secret in hopes of protecting their reputation and avoiding a lawsuit. However, anonymous legal action forced Taylor Energy to reveal their clean up plan, which has not been exposed to the public yet.

The Environmental Watchdog group discovered the oil spill in 2010 by monitoring the BP Deepwater Horizon disaster north of the Taylor Energy oil spill site. Taylor Energy sued Interior Department in federal court for a return of almost $450 million, left in a trust established with the government, and will fund Taylor Energy’s work to recover the wreckage and detect wells concealed 100 feet below oil.

“We had no idea that any of this was going on,” Executive Director of the Louisiana Environmental Action Network Marylee Orr said to The Washington Post.

Taylor Energy has declined to comment on the matter, arguing “there’s no evidence to prove any of the wells are leaking.” Despite the fact Taylor Energy has denied any possible well leakage, the Justice Department submitted an independent investigation which determined the spill was significant and impactful on the environment. The United States Coast Guard National Response Center (NRC) claimed the spill was dumping more than 55 million barrels of oil per day, according to The Washington Post.

Despite that, Oscar Garcia-Pineda, a geoscience consultant who practices in remote sensing of oil spills wrote, “There is abundant evidence which supports the fact that these reports from NRC are incorrect.” He later added to his claim “my conclusion is that NRC reports are not reliable.”

Taylor Energy sold its oil and gas resources to Korea National Oil Corporation and Samsung C&T Corporation in 2008, and maintains a single employee, company President William Pecue.

“[The leak is] an act of God under the legal definition,” Pecue said.

A photographer walks along a beach infected with oil. Permission to print by AP Images.