The Beacon

Top 10 classic horror movies for spooky season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Camron D. '21, Writer

“Halloween” (1978)

The “Halloween” 1978 theatrical movie poster

This ’70s horror classic was directed by John Carpenter, also the director of many other films such as “The Thing,” “The Fog” and “Escape from New York.” This movie is first on the list because it does not need gore and jump scares to be scary. The subtleness and the tension is what gives it power. This movie was also the reason slasher films became  popular in the ‘80s. This is a masterpiece in the genre of horror, and with the new sequel to the 1978 original coming out Oct. 19, it is a good watch to start off the fall season. (10/10)

“The Exorcist” (1973)

“The Exorcist” 1973 theatrical movie poster

’70s horror is the best kind of horror. This classic film started a chain of demonic movies for decades. It is scary how a movie can impact lives. During the making of this motion picture, crew members had died during production. During the screenings, people in the audiences fainted or threw up. This has been around for four decades, and still looks realistic to this day. This movie still frightens audiences and is a classic that will be remembered forever. (10/10)

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984)

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” 1984 movie poster

The one thing that helps people remember this film is the nursery rhyme that has scared people since the release in 1984. One, two, Freddy’s coming for you. Three, four, better lock your door. Five, six, grab your crucifix. Seven, eight, gonna stay up late. Nine, ten, never sleep again.”  Freddy Krueger is one of the most popular horror movie slasher villains to this day. There are nine movies in total in this franchise, but none of the sequels live up to the original. This movie gave a new twist to the slasher genre. (10/10)

“Friday the 13th” (1980)

“Friday the 13th” 1980 movie poster

This film was inspired by the movie “Halloween” (1978) directed by John Carpenter. This movie is a good ‘who done it’ movie, and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. This movie went on to be one of the greatest slasher films, and is up there with Freddy and Michael. SPOILER: This movie inspired many other films to have women as antagonists in slasher films. This film franchise is one of the largest growing franchises in horror movie history, spawning with 11 sequels. (9/10)

“Scream” (1996)

The “Scream” 1996 movie poster

Slasher movies were dead by this time period. Hollywood was running out of ideas, and no one seemed interested in people being stabbed or brutalized in films anymore. However this film lit a spark in the horror genre in the mid ’90s. With the mystery, who done it, kind of story to it, this movie really scared people and is a great to watch with your family, as long as nobody has a weak stomach. (8/10)

“Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974)

“Texas Chainsaw” 1974 fan-made poster

This film has extreme gore, and may be too intense for some viewers, but is a classic. It had a very small budget, and had a huge impact on people. It really pushes the gore and terror, causing people to not be able to get through the whole thing. Watching this movie will make people scared to drive through the countryside. (10/10)

“The Evil Dead 2” (1987)

The “Evil Dead 2” 1987 movie poster

This is a must watch film for this Halloween season. It is a great splatter film with tons of gore and blood, but do not worry, this film sort of makes fun of itself with the insane amount gore used in it. This film is an entertaining, it is crazy and people have to see this film.This movie does not disappoint. (10/10)

“Alien” (1979)

The “Alien” 1979 movie poster

“In space, no one can hear you scream.” This was the tagline for the ’70s sci-fi horror classic “Alien.” This film launched many careers and spawned several movies after the film’s time. This movie has a great atmosphere and has a subtleness to it that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Do not be fooled by its quiet setting. Throughout the film, you will never guess what happens next. (9/10)

“Insidious” (2010)

The “Insidious” 2010 movie poster

This film is more recent, but it still has a spot because of its originality. Director James Wan created this film with his talent and intelligence. Wan has also directed films such as “The Conjuring,” which is also a demonic movie franchise that is very successful. This film is popular among people, even though they seem to have been traumatized by it. This is another film classic on the list. (9/10)

“Child’s Play” (1988)

“Child’s Play” 1988 movie poster

Everyone knows who Chucky is. This killer doll has been around for a long time, with sequels and spinoffs still coming out. Chucky is an icon, and nothing beats his first film. The sequels are okay, but nothing is better than the original. The thing that makes this movie special is the fact that it is about a murderous doll that hunts down children in order to use voodoo to become human again. All I can say about this film is go watch it. (8/10)

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Top 10 classic horror movies for spooky season”

1. Sophia Martinko on November 8th, 2018 8:45 am

I liked the short descriptions and rating for each movie. This is helpful so I know what is the best movie to watch. I learned about several different horror movies, and that the best ones were from the 70s and 80s. This article had timeliness because it was created for spooky season which is the fall. It was published a little over a week ago on October 25th.

2. julia on November 13th, 2018 2:50 pm

I liked how they explained the movie but also gave a review so I know which one I should watch.
    I learned about a few horror movies and how people near my age react to them.
    This article related to timeliness because it was published last week and it is referring to spooky season which is fall/ Halloween.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Top 10 classic horror movies for spooky season

In-Depth

Healthier drinks create negative effects in humans

In-Depth

Year-round schooling affects students

In-Depth

Distracted driving plagues everyday life of teenagers

In-Depth

Teen vaping epidemic spreads through OHS

How To

How to: survive the greatest American holiday, Black Friday

Opinion

High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating

Opinion

Sportsmanship plays major role in sports

Opinion

It is Indigenous Day, not Columbus Day

How To

How to: Have a fun fall

How To

How to: Have a less stressful homecoming

"We have issues"