The Beacon

Sportsmanship plays major role in sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maxwell W. '20, Writer

On Oct. 5 under the bright lights at Olentangy Orange High School (OOHS), a selfish was mistake made. After the Braves football team defeated rival OOHS with a score of 35-34, people in the stands and student section lost control of themselves. As both teams were giving high fives to each other, one person removed himself from the group. This person was Mitchell G. ’20.  He left the area, went over to OOHS’s victory bell and rang it in front of the OOHS sideline and student section. They responded by booing Mitchell G. for his outlandish behavior. He was suspended from school for three days, and is not participating in the Braves’ final three games of the season. This example from Mitchell G. is not the only incident of bad sportsmanship; it happens everywhere in sports.

“I think Mitchell G. should be suspended for the rest of the season. His behavior is an example of bad sportsmanship,” Cameron M. ’22 said.

Athletes tend to showcase negative sportsmanship more than positive sportsmanship. They chose to put violence and less gratitude above a handshake or a simple “good game.” Some examples of this are a foul in soccer, a fight in hockey or a brawl breaking out in football.

On Sept. 9, 2017, former Oklahoma University(OU) Quarterback Baker Mayfield planted the OU flag in the center of Ohio Stadium after they beat The Ohio State University (OSU) 31-16. OSU spectators despised Mayfield after this incident, and predicted it would hurt his draft potential. Mayfield did something similar against the University of Kansas when he refused to shake the opposing team’s hands during the coin toss. Now, Mayfield is the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns after Tyrod Taylor suffered a dislocated pinky finger. This shows that the Browns organization care more about Mayfield’s being the starting quarterback instead of his character and actions.

Another incident of bad sportsmanship occured at the 2012 Summer Olympics, held in London. During a basketball game between France and Spain, French player Nicolas Batum reached around Spanish player Juan Carlos Navarro and punched him in the groin. Batum apologized to the media for this incident and said he wants to move forward.

I wanted to give him a good reason to flop,” Batum said to ABC News in 2012.

These two stories mirror Mitchell G.’s act. However, Mitchell G’s incident is not national  news. It is only a big deal in the Olentangy Local School District (OLSD). The issue of sportsmanship should not be directed only at OHS. It needs to be implemented into all schools.

“Mitchell G. did not represent OHS respectively when he rang OOHS’ bell. He was not being a true leader to the OHS football team and gave no commitment and respect to the other team,” Dean of Students Brad Henry said.

Some students believe what Mitchell G. did was fine, and he should not be punished too harshly for his actions. They said they think he responded like any high schooler would.

“In my opinion, his punishment was to harsh and unjust,” Cade C. ’20 said.

In the end, Mitchell G. felt remorse for what he did, proving any athlete who makes a mistake can find redemption. Every athlete should take time to apologize and reflect on their negative actions, just as he did.

“I regret what I did. I feel that I let the team down. I thought since Orange rang our bell last year at OHS stadium, I should bring back the favor and ring theirs,” Mitchell G. said.

Sportsmanship is important. Having a gracious heart and being respectful to others’ property is essential. What Mitchell G. did after a hard fought game is atrocious and disrespectful to the OLSD community.  

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Sportsmanship plays major role in sports”

1. Jacob on November 5th, 2018 11:48 am

I understand why Mitchell did what he did, and all athletes make mistakes in the heat of the moment. Good article.

2. Taylor Otis on November 5th, 2018 2:08 pm

I liked how it gave you all the background and explanation of what happened with Grubb. I learned how all the other students and teachers think about his actions. I know how I think about what he did but I didn’t know how everyone else thought. This article has proximity because it happened at Olentangy Orange High School which is just up the road from us. It also has conflict with two sides with two different opinions on what happened. Also it includes consequence because Grubb had to sit out due to his actions. Human interest is in this too because the football team and staff probably had many feelings toward the decision made and all of the orange student section and team had some strong feelings after the event happened too.

3. Lauren Fink on November 6th, 2018 1:09 pm

I liked this article because you interviewed Mitchell himself. I think it was very interesting to see his side of the story too and why he made the choice he did during the OOHS vs OHS football game. I learned that many unsportsmanship like instances occur worldwide, no matter the sport. I didn’t realize how offen it happened. There is proximity involved in this article because it occured here at OHS and human interest because many students are athletes and play sports, so they can relate to sportsmanship issues.

4. Hanna Schmidt on November 6th, 2018 3:26 pm

I liked how the article gave many examples of what they considered bad sportsmanship and how it affected the person as a result.I learned that athletes tend to show more negative sportsmanship rather than positive sportsmanship. Also the article includes consequence and proximity.

5. Ellie Nicoloulias on November 6th, 2018 6:57 pm

I liked how they not only had an example from our school, but from other events as well. It also did a good job of using human interest since our society are huge football fans, many people would be interested in this story.

6. Hannah Moore on November 7th, 2018 4:55 pm

I like that the writer is trying to encourage change and promote good sportsmanship. I learned about how widespread bad sportsmanship is, and can contrast this information from my own experience in cross-country, where for the most part athletes show remarkable sportsmanship. This article contains timeliness, proximity, consequence, human interest, conflict, and some prominence.

7. Sophia Martinko on November 8th, 2018 8:51 am

I liked that there were many examples of what bad sportsmanship is, and it explained what not to do if you want to bring good sportsmanship to your team. I also liked how there was an example of it happening in our own school. I learned that bad sportsmanship is more common than I thought it was. I also heard about this when it happened, but I never heard the full story, or why he did it. This article is timely because it was published this October. This article also had consequence because the person who did this got suspended from the rest of the football games. Finally, this article had proximity because it happened at our school football game.

8. emily on November 12th, 2018 8:44 pm

I liked how they interviewed Mitchell himself and why he decided to make the choices he did at the OOHS vs OHS football game
    I learned there have been multiple instances of unsportsmanlike behavior in multiple opinions on the topic. in this article it included proximity because it happened at Olentangy high school and it included human interest because many students can relate because they play sports as well as they know Mitchell.

9. Julia on November 13th, 2018 2:48 pm

I liked how they shared examples from both high school sports and sports out of high school to show how it doesn’t only happen in high school.
    I learned about what really happens after we won’t the game again OOHS. I had heard some rumors that weren’t true but reading this article I can trust they are being honest about what happened.
    This article contains human interest because it is very relatable to all of the students at OHS. We have all heard about or talked about the football team or just sports in general and we know that sportsmanship is very important.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sportsmanship plays major role in sports

In-Depth

Healthier drinks create negative effects in humans

In-Depth

Year-round schooling affects students

In-Depth

Distracted driving plagues everyday life of teenagers

In-Depth

Teen vaping epidemic spreads through OHS

How To

How to: survive the greatest American holiday, Black Friday

Opinion

Top 10 classic horror movies for spooky season

Opinion

High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating

Opinion

It is Indigenous Day, not Columbus Day

How To

How to: Have a fun fall

How To

How to: Have a less stressful homecoming

"We have issues"