The Beacon

High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating

Back to Article
Back to Article

Reagan B. '21, Writer

Often times, Halloween stores sell costumes for babies, all the way to grown adults to go trick-or-treating; however, this should not be the case. Trick-or-treating should stop before high school for the safety and happiness of little kids.

High schoolers trick-or-treating can be distracting and scary because the costumes they deem as “cool” are, more often than not, too inappropriate for children to see while they are trying to get their candy. The gory, bloody and sometimes violent looking costumes are too mature to be worn while trick-or-treating around neighborhoods full of small kids and babies.     

Some teenagers also find it fun to take candy from small kids, or take too much from houses with bowls out that say “please only take one piece.” This takes candy away from the other kids, and ends up shortening their night.

“High schoolers always take way too much candy, so more houses will have empty bowls when older kids come,” Morgan B. ‘21 said.

High schoolers who do go trick-or-treating go with their friends to mess around and have a good time, but their version of a fun night could be too frightening for kids. When children see some of their costumes, they might get scared and could possibly have nightmares, which is not something they or their parents should have to deal with. Additionally, with teenagers running around the neighborhood to get their candy, there is a higher chance little kids could get hit and possibly injured.

“A lot of teenagers are too aggressive and could possibly trample over children,” Taylor O. ‘21 said.

Although some might say teenagers should be allowed to go trick-or-treating because it is a chance for them to enjoy time with their friends before heading off to college, this is not a strong argument. If they want to spend time with their friends on Halloween, they can go to a haunted house or hang out at home instead of going out and scaring kids.

“In Virginia, several cities have had trick-or-treating age limits on the books since the 1970s. City officials from Meridian, Miss., to Bishopville, S.C., and Boonsboro, Md., have cut off the trick-or-treat age at 12,” according to Today.com.

Virginia is ahead of the game banning trick-or-treat, and now other states need to follow for the safety of children.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating”

1. Kaitlyn Fetter on November 5th, 2018 11:45 am

I liked how this article is directed towards a specific audience and I agree with everything it says.

I learned that it is inappropriate for High schoolers to go trick or treating. Not because of age, but because of maturity.

News elements in this article include conflict and human interest.

2. Lily on November 5th, 2018 11:49 am

What I liked about this article was how it has quotes from multiple perspectives from high schoolers our age to support her point she is making. From this article I learned that there are age limits on trick or treaters in Virginia. News elements in this article are conflict because there are two different sides to if high schoolers should trick or treat and there’s timeliness because this article was written less than two weeks ago.

3. Carlos Carselle on November 5th, 2018 11:55 am

This article proves a very good point that I agree with

4. Taia Baerga on November 5th, 2018 1:59 pm

I liked that you gave many reasons to support why you think high schoolers should not trick or treat. I learned that although costume stores sell adult costumes it is mainly for younger kids. This article is timely because Halloween was so recent. This article involves human interest because of the topic.

5. Taylor Otis on November 5th, 2018 2:00 pm

I liked how this article included both sides of the story and had actual quotes from teenagers expressing their opinion. I learned how much teens could have an affect on children if they trick or treat. I never really thought about it until now and this article brought up a lot of good points. Teens have alternative things they can do to enjoy Halloween that avoids scaring kids and taking the night away from them. This article has prominence because Halloween and trick or treating is a known event all over the country. It is also timely because Halloween took place last week. There is conflict because there are two sides to this debate. There is also human interest because this debate can bring emotion to people.

6. lauren beaumont on November 5th, 2018 2:05 pm

what I liked about your article is that most people don’t write about teenagers trick or treating but it is a good topic and I haven’t read anything like it. I learned that Virginia has age restrictions for kids that can trick or treat. Some news elements were human interest because some people love to go trick or treating and so do some teens. Also this includes timeliness because of how recent it is, and how close halloween was.

7. Sam Hargett on November 5th, 2018 2:11 pm

I liked that she used sources to confirm her opinion rather than just stating it herself with no evidence. Also doing research on the topic was a good idea because it was very convincing to me that we are too old. During the process of reading this article I learned about what teens can do to endanger little kids, such as giving them nightmares (half our costumes aren’t that scary), and that we could trample little kids by running (we use flashlights, we know how to be careful). The news elements involved in this story were human interest, timeliness, and consequence and conflict. The article is very recent, grabs human interest with the topic of trick-or-treat, and provides consequence and conflict about what happens when teens go trick-or-treating.

8. Hanna Schmidt on November 6th, 2018 3:34 pm

I like how the article uses good evidence such as quotes from high schoolers to backup the opinions stated. I also liked how it gave different point of views. I learned that in Virginia has age limits and restrictions on who can go trick or treating. This article involves timleyness because halloween was recently and it also includes conflict and consequence.

9. Kennedy Rehklau on November 6th, 2018 5:59 pm

I really liked the quotes from other kids the same age because it made the article more directed to the teenage audience. I also liked how different the article was from any other halloween related topics. I learned that Virginia has age restrictions on trick or treating and has for a few years now. This article includes timelines because Halloween was last week and also conflict because there is an argument to be said for both going and not going trick or treating.

10. Rachel Johnson on November 7th, 2018 1:44 pm

I like how this article expressed the different sides. Some teenagers that are in high school provided what they thought. I learned how much teenagers trick or treating have an impact on children. I haven’t gone trick or treating in a long time and i’ve never realized how much kids were being impacted. A huge element of news is timely. Halloween was just last week and many people were impacted by this. This is also human interest because many people can relate to this situation.

11. Hannah Moore on November 7th, 2018 4:54 pm

1: I like that the writer is trying to look out for the kids, though they overgeneralize in their argument.
    2: I learned about several cities in Virginia that have age limits for trick-or-treating and a few others outside the state that have implemented the bans as well.
    3: This article contains timeliness, proximity, and a bit of human interest and conflict as well.

12. Sophia Martinko on November 8th, 2018 8:55 am

I liked that the people who wrote this article care about the younger kids who go trick-or-treating enough to write about this topic. I learned that in Virginia there is a law that states that only children under the age of 12 can go trick-or-treating. This article has human interest because the readers feel sympathy for the younger kids that are having their Halloween ruined by highschoolers. This article is also timely because Halloween was last week.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating

In-Depth

Healthier drinks create negative effects in humans

In-Depth

Year-round schooling affects students

In-Depth

Distracted driving plagues everyday life of teenagers

In-Depth

Teen vaping epidemic spreads through OHS

How To

How to: survive the greatest American holiday, Black Friday

Opinion

Top 10 classic horror movies for spooky season

Opinion

Sportsmanship plays major role in sports

Opinion

It is Indigenous Day, not Columbus Day

How To

How to: Have a fun fall

How To

How to: Have a less stressful homecoming

"We have issues"