High schoolers are too old to go trick-or-treating

Back to Article
Back to Article

Reagan B. '21, Writer

Often times, Halloween stores sell costumes for babies, all the way to grown adults to go trick-or-treating; however, this should not be the case. Trick-or-treating should stop before high school for the safety and happiness of little kids.

High schoolers trick-or-treating can be distracting and scary because the costumes they deem as “cool” are, more often than not, too inappropriate for children to see while they are trying to get their candy. The gory, bloody and sometimes violent looking costumes are too mature to be worn while trick-or-treating around neighborhoods full of small kids and babies.     

Some teenagers also find it fun to take candy from small kids, or take too much from houses with bowls out that say “please only take one piece.” This takes candy away from the other kids, and ends up shortening their night.

“High schoolers always take way too much candy, so more houses will have empty bowls when older kids come,” Morgan B. ‘21 said.

High schoolers who do go trick-or-treating go with their friends to mess around and have a good time, but their version of a fun night could be too frightening for kids. When children see some of their costumes, they might get scared and could possibly have nightmares, which is not something they or their parents should have to deal with. Additionally, with teenagers running around the neighborhood to get their candy, there is a higher chance little kids could get hit and possibly injured.

“A lot of teenagers are too aggressive and could possibly trample over children,” Taylor O. ‘21 said.

Although some might say teenagers should be allowed to go trick-or-treating because it is a chance for them to enjoy time with their friends before heading off to college, this is not a strong argument. If they want to spend time with their friends on Halloween, they can go to a haunted house or hang out at home instead of going out and scaring kids.

“In Virginia, several cities have had trick-or-treating age limits on the books since the 1970s. City officials from Meridian, Miss., to Bishopville, S.C., and Boonsboro, Md., have cut off the trick-or-treat age at 12,” according to Today.com.

Virginia is ahead of the game banning trick-or-treat, and now other states need to follow for the safety of children.