The Beacon

Doup survives breast cancer

Camille C. '21, Writer

There are more than 3.1 million women with a history of breast cancer in the United States, according to Dr. Marisa Weiss, author of the article Breast Cancer Statics.

Breast cancer has been an ongoing conflict for women around the world since it was first documented in Egypt in 1600 B.C. This disease usually originates as the formation of a small, confined tumor, or as calcium deposits into the breast tissue. Men can get breast cancer too, but they account for just 1 percent of all cases. Even though there are treatments available, researchers and scientists are still searching for a true cure to this disease.

One individual, Helyn Doup, mother of OHS student Kaden D. ’21, went through this experience six years ago. In April 2012, Doup was devastated and heartbroken by news from her doctor(s) – she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Once her family found out about the diagnosis, they were immediately supportive and encouraging. Doup’s mother was especially compassionate for her daughter and their family due to her having fought her own battle against breast cancer for 22 years.

“I felt terrible for my mom, and I had no idea what breast cancer was. I knew it was bad and we had to be there for her, because nothing like this had happened to her before,” Kaden D. said.

Doup did not want to back down or quit from the threat of cancer. Instead, she decided to face the disease and fight it. Even though she was anxious throughout the whole treatment process, she knew she had to continue persevering.

“I was nervous and scared at first, but I knew I wanted to fight this cancer with everything I had,” Doup said.

The doctors and nurses were fast and efficient during the time of treatment. The longest consecutive time she was in the hospital was 24 hours.

“The hospital stays were short and awesome due to getting home so quickly. During treatment, I went to the doctor’s office and home all in the same day,” Doup said.

Once Doup had won her fight against breast cancer in September 2012, she saw life in a completely new way as a survivor.

“Everyday is a gift,” Doup said.

Doup is not the only one who looks at life in a unique way after having breast cancer. One of her sons now has a different perspective because of his mother.

“I generally look at life a little differently, and I try to be a nice and caring person towards others, because you never know what will happen to the people you love and care for,” Kaden D.  said.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Doup survives breast cancer”

1. Caroline Chubb on November 5th, 2018 12:14 pm

1.) I liked the heartfelt message that the article shared and the multiple perspectives it showed.
    2.) I learned about the history of cancer and the story of Kaden Doup.
    3.) The news element included was personal interest. This is because Kaden is a student at Olentangy High School and many people who attend know him. It also connects to a personal topic that many people have experienced through relatives or even friends.

2. Marissa Johnston on November 5th, 2018 2:08 pm

I love the use of complex words and sentences and you did an awesome job incorporating several quotes and research citings. I definitely learned a lot from this article, from breast cancer itself to how it can change someone. This article had a deeply impactful news element of proximity and quite possibly even conflict and consequence. I truly connect with this story and the fact that this could even happen at OHS influences me to stay strong, even if the worst happens.

3. Stephanie Gravely on November 5th, 2018 2:10 pm

I think this is an amazing article! I believe it really gave the statistics about cancer and the fact that it has a cancer survivors opinion in it, was very impactful. What I learned from this article is that you don’t have to stay at the hospital for long periods of time and it often times is a quick trip and back. News elements that I found in this article were proximity and human interest.

4. Lauren Fink on November 6th, 2018 1:41 pm

I really liked the all the quotes in this story. I felt like it gave so much more emotion and feeling rather than just telling the story. I learned that breast cancer has been around since 1600 B.C. in Egypt. This article has human interest because I feel sympathy and hopefulness for the family. It also has proximity because it happened in OHS and many people know the Doups, including me.

5. Jordan Soards on November 6th, 2018 6:47 pm

One thing I liked about this article was that it shows that this can happen to anyone at any time even if you think you’re not at risk. One thing I learned was that more than 3.1 million women have a history with breast cancer in the US. This article relates to human interest because cancer is a really scary thing to deal with and the losses are heartbreaking.

6. emily on November 12th, 2018 8:41 pm

I liked the explanation and the direct quotes, as well as portraying such an emotion that can only be experienced first hand, yet the writer was able to explain the emotion very clearly.
    I learned that breast cancer has been an issue since 1600 B.C.
    This article included proximity because it happened in our school and it also included human interest because it had a lot of compassion for the family.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Feature

Top 5 Places to go for Thanksgiving

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Nick Bosa moves forward to NFL

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Thanksgiving traditions change throughout the years

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Appetizers

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Students call for cleaner restrooms

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Young vocalist establishes future

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Moving creates new cultural experiences

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Young artist sculpts her future

• Doup survives breast cancer

Feature

Embracing myself and saving my skin: not wearing makeup for 40 days

• Feature

Protest turns ghost

"We have issues"
Doup survives breast cancer