Doup survives breast cancer

Camille C. '21, Writer

There are more than 3.1 million women with a history of breast cancer in the United States, according to Dr. Marisa Weiss, author of the article Breast Cancer Statics.

Breast cancer has been an ongoing conflict for women around the world since it was first documented in Egypt in 1600 B.C. This disease usually originates as the formation of a small, confined tumor, or as calcium deposits into the breast tissue. Men can get breast cancer too, but they account for just 1 percent of all cases. Even though there are treatments available, researchers and scientists are still searching for a true cure to this disease.

One individual, Helyn Doup, mother of OHS student Kaden D. ’21, went through this experience six years ago. In April 2012, Doup was devastated and heartbroken by news from her doctor(s) – she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Once her family found out about the diagnosis, they were immediately supportive and encouraging. Doup’s mother was especially compassionate for her daughter and their family due to her having fought her own battle against breast cancer for 22 years.

“I felt terrible for my mom, and I had no idea what breast cancer was. I knew it was bad and we had to be there for her, because nothing like this had happened to her before,” Kaden D. said.

Doup did not want to back down or quit from the threat of cancer. Instead, she decided to face the disease and fight it. Even though she was anxious throughout the whole treatment process, she knew she had to continue persevering.

“I was nervous and scared at first, but I knew I wanted to fight this cancer with everything I had,” Doup said.

The doctors and nurses were fast and efficient during the time of treatment. The longest consecutive time she was in the hospital was 24 hours.

“The hospital stays were short and awesome due to getting home so quickly. During treatment, I went to the doctor’s office and home all in the same day,” Doup said.

Once Doup had won her fight against breast cancer in September 2012, she saw life in a completely new way as a survivor.

“Everyday is a gift,” Doup said.

Doup is not the only one who looks at life in a unique way after having breast cancer. One of her sons now has a different perspective because of his mother.

“I generally look at life a little differently, and I try to be a nice and caring person towards others, because you never know what will happen to the people you love and care for,” Kaden D.  said.