The Beacon

Students call for cleaner restrooms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students call for cleaner restrooms

Camron D. '21, Writer

People go in and out of the bathrooms every single day, and at OHS, students think the dirtiness is getting out of hand. They agree the stalls in the bathrooms are unusable, because the doors are often pushed in and can not be opened, or the locks are broken off and will not lock. Toilets have broken seats, so students cannot use them.

People in the school have shared their opinions, stating the bathrooms are dirty and uncomfortable to use. The graffiti on the walls has been painted over, but people are still writing on them.  

“I use the bathroom every day, and I feel like I can’t do my business because it’s so dirty,” Evan R. ’21 said.

People are getting annoyed because they are sometimes forced to refrain from using the bathroom because they are too disgusted by the quality.

It is the custodians’ job to clean the school, including the bathrooms, and it does not make it easier for them when the stalls, floors and doors are dirty.

“We need fans in the bathrooms, because the bathrooms smell very bad. We could also use some trash cans in our bathrooms,” Byson E. ‘21 said.

Students think we could use trash cans in our bathrooms to keep the floors clean, and make the janitor’s job easier. They also think we should have fans in the bathrooms attached to the ceiling to get rid of the smells coming from the stalls.

“I don’t use the bathroom here at school because they are dirty and unusable. Maybe we can help by finding a way to keep the floors clean,” Nathan A. ‘21 said.

Students have said there should be a change and want these bathrooms to become usable again. People want to be heard and put a stop to this dirty bathroom problem. The bathrooms here are where people go to do their business, and they want it kept clean so that the next time they have to go, they do not have to wander around the the school just to find the cleanest bathroom.

A custodian here at OHS named Martin Crosbie said the bathrooms here are normally clean, but they are old so they give the impression of being dirty. New urinal cakes have been put in to help make the bathrooma smell cleaner and fresher. Crosbie has talked to the administration about changing the stall doors and making the bathrooms more clean.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Students call for cleaner restrooms”

1. Stephanie Gravely on November 5th, 2018 2:04 pm

I really enjoyed this article and I believe it speaks the truth about the school bathroom. This article gives a good amount of perspectives about the situation and really allows everyone to understand and maybe change their ways while using the school bathrooms. From this article, I learned that the janitors have taken this problem to the administration and tried to change and prevent the problem. The news elements that I saw in the article were proximity (its happening at the school), timely (happening right now), and human interest (it makes people feel upset about it).

2. rachel johnson on November 5th, 2018 2:04 pm

I liked this article because it gives awareness to the people of the school for it to be nicer and have a better appeal. People should be able to use the restroom when needed and not have to worry about these things.
    I learned from this article that some people actually dont use the restrooms because of the conditions that are throughout the school. One of the news elements used is proximity. This is our school and we as students are affected. But also, human interest because people want to know the conditions of the school.

3. Ava on November 5th, 2018 2:09 pm

I loved how informational your article was. I enjoyed learning about what OHS students think about our bathrooms at school. This article is very timely and relevant to students right now because it was posted on October 23 which was less than a month ago.

4. Jordan Smith on November 6th, 2018 7:58 am

Can’t agree more. This is getting ridiculous! Between periods, students congregate in the bathroom to juul, and during periods, their writing on the walls, using all of the tp and attempting to rip the door off the hinges, which, when it doesn’t work, it makes the doo impossible to close or lock. I know we’re a poorly state-funded high school whose main source of money is from property tax, but either the consequences become more serious or more of the budget gets directed our way.

5. crystal tse on November 6th, 2018 4:58 pm

I liked reading the many opinions of other OHS students and the direct quotes of why they don’t like the bathrooms very much. The article included many ways of how the bathrooms could be improved and what the janitors have done already to try to make the bathrooms a little better. I learned the boys bathrooms is dirtier than girls, they do not have trash cans in their bathroom but we do. I learned janitors haven’t really made an impact on girls bathrooms, installing urinal cakes only help the boys bathrooms rather than girls. This article relates to proximity because its happening at my school and the conditions are bad in the bathrooms I use daily.

6. Jordan Soards on November 6th, 2018 6:45 pm

One thing I liked about this article was it’s something that most students agree with and is a common issue. One thing I learned is that the bathrooms are relatively clean but only appear dirty because they’re old. This relates to proximity because it a problem at our school.

7. Thomas Page on November 11th, 2018 10:45 am

I really enjoyed this article, and I share the same opinion with the students featured. I learned that the janitors and school are open to suggestions and changes for better bathrooms. The proximity of this article is close by, right here even, at my high school. I am effected by the quality of the school’s bathrooms daily. The timeliness of the article is very recent, and the state of the articles mentioned in the resterooms mentioned is the same at the moment.

8. julia on November 13th, 2018 2:49 pm

I liked how they addressed the problem but didn’t blame it on anyone in particular. The janitor had a very hard job and don’t always get everything, but students also cause it to get dirty.
    I learned that students are actually talking to people and addressing the problem that the bathroom and the stalls are dirty. I also learned that alsot of students refrain from going to the bathroom because they are so dirty.
    The article contains human interest because we all attend OHS and usually use the bathroom at school. We experience the things the people describe in the article whenever we go the the bathroom.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Feature

Top 5 Places to go for Thanksgiving

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Nick Bosa moves forward to NFL

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Thanksgiving traditions change throughout the years

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Appetizers

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Doup survives breast cancer

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Young vocalist establishes future

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Moving creates new cultural experiences

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Young artist sculpts her future

• Students call for cleaner restrooms

Feature

Embracing myself and saving my skin: not wearing makeup for 40 days

• Feature

Protest turns ghost

"We have issues"
Students call for cleaner restrooms