The Beacon

How to: rock homecoming

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to: rock homecoming

Image provided by Olentangy Local Schools.

Emily S. '19, Writer

Drama among friends, piles of dresses left unattended in countless stores, flowers cut and attached to sparkly ribbon, feelings of longing for someone to dance with. All of these, combined with the cool air of early October can only mean one thing: it’s homecoming season. Don’t worry, with this simple guide you’ll rock homecoming in no time.

For those not in a relationship, make a list of everyone as lonely as you. Pick the best person on said list, and there is your date to homecoming. For those in a relationship, you’re set.

Next, find a way to ask your future date. If you want them to ask you, make your hints obvious. Text and call them, and if they don’t answer try again until they do. Show them you’re interested; people love attention.

If you need a way to ask them, there’s only one thing to do: go to Pinterest. Search ‘cute promposal’ and countless options will appear before you. Just be sure to change ‘prom’ to ‘hoco’ on your sign. You have to ask your future date in the biggest, over-the-top way possible to guarantee a yes. Buy them a dog, a tiara, fly them to Disney. Whatever is necessary, do it.

Once you’ve landed a date, find the proper attire for both of you and make sure you match. You will also need a matching corsage and boutonniere. Be sure to match your date, but no one else, so find the dress or shirt in the corner of the store you know no one else has and rock it.

If you don’t want a date, you made your life a lot easier so enjoy it. Go with friends but make sure you create a set group. Have each member of the group sign a contract so they cannot leave. This ensures things will run smoothly.

Once you know who you are going with, create a plan to take pictures together and go to dinner. Pictures can be almost anywhere, as long as the background is pretty. Make a dinner reservation at least three weeks in advance. If you don’t, all the good restaurants will be booked and your group should just go to McDonalds. Or, you can make your mom’s life a little busier and have her host dinner. She’ll love it!

After all plans are in place, be sure to follow through with them, and you’ll have a blast. Happy homecoming!

5 Comments

5 Responses to “How to: rock homecoming”

1. delaney on October 18th, 2017 10:01 am

I really loved your word choice and the way you phrased your ideas, it made your article interesting and fun to read.

2. Emily Randall on October 18th, 2017 10:10 am

This article was adorable! I loved the noteworthy advice as well as the subtle/not so subtle exaggerated claims. For example, make your friends sign a contract so they can’t leave the group, or you could always have your mom host dinner, lol. I loved how your writing flowed as well, and your introduction para. Well done!

3. Kaitlin on October 18th, 2017 10:23 am

I really enjoyed the humor associated with the piece. How you didn’t exaggerate things to far but just far enough that it added humor.

4. Lauren Fink on November 6th, 2018 1:38 pm

I like how this article is relateable because we are high school students. I learned that even if you might have a low budget, you can still have a great homecoming. This article includes human interest because i’m a high school student and attend homecoming.

5. emily on November 12th, 2018 8:37 pm

I loved how relatable this article was and diction was great and I love how you could hear the writer speaking this was a very humorous article. I learned that having a good and successful homecoming is actually really easy and you are able to do it on a low budget. The elements included were human interest because I am a high school student and I was able to relate to the article.

All comments must be approved by website staff before being posted

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

How to: survive the greatest American holiday, Black Friday

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

How to: Have a fun fall

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

How to: Have a less stressful homecoming

• Beacon's Baker's Dozen

Beacon’s Baker’s Dozen: How to survive Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

• How to: rock homecoming

Feature

Get in the Halloween spirit

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

Meme Usage 101: Cracking the code

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

A procrastinator’s guide to surviving the ACT

• How to: rock homecoming

How To

Clapbacks 101

• How to: rock homecoming

Feature

A slap in the face feels better than this

• How To

You should go and love yourself…

"We have issues"
How to: rock homecoming